Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater




The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary (by Goodreads):   "There are only two reasons a nonseer would see a spirit on St. Mark's Eve," Neeve said. "Either you're his true love... or you killed him."

It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them - not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can't entirely explain. He has it all - family money, good looks, devoted friends - but he's looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she's not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the best-selling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we've never been before.


I listened to this book which Will Patton (actor) narrated.
WOW. Talk about information overload!! My head is still reeling and trying to capture everything that happened! I will be listening to this book again, and soon.

I was drawn into this immediately and I couldn't let go. Everything, every detail just kept coming and coming. A few times I went back and listened to a few parts when I had to quit listening, just to get my brain caught up again. Blue is such a weird name, I actually wrinkled my nose at it until I got to know her. That is when I felt it fit her. Most of the names of the Characters were so different and unique, which added so much more to their personalities. Of course we can't forget that Blue has "her Raven boys" whose personalities differ from night to day, but are all handsome and attractive in their own ways.

Maggie's writing is amazing. She is a genius when it comes to putting a story together, especially how she plots out each character and makes them so unique and part of the whole picture. She takes the supernatural world and makes it seem so normal, such an every day occurrence that I didn't even seem to notice it really couldn't happen. There are so many twists and turns, mysteries, lies, and shocking truths that unfold. I really enjoyed it. I am excited for the next installment.

Will Patton did a great job with the narration! I love it when famous actors take time to narrate books and Will did an excellent job, especially with the southern accents. I hope he narrates the next book as well!!

Warning:  This book has some bad language including the F word.  Not a book for young teens, in my opinion.  

Here is the book trailer: 




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

top navigation

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...