Pages

Monday, April 1, 2013

My Ex From Hell by Tellulah Darling


My Ex From Hell by Tellulah Darling
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Released Date:  4/1/2013
Summary: Sixteen-year-old Sophie Bloom wishes she’d been taught the following:    a) Bad boy’s presence (TrOuBlE) + teen girl’s brain (DraMa) = TrAuMa (Highly unstable and very volatile.)
b) The Genus Greekulum Godissimus is notable for three traits: 1) awesome abilities, 2) grudges, and 3) hook-ups, break-ups, and in-fighting that puts cable to shame.

Prior to the Halloween dance, Sophie figures her worst problems involve adolescent theatrics, bitchy yoga girls, and being on probation at her boarding school for mouthy behaviour. Then she meets bad boy Kai and gets the kiss that rocks her world.

Literally.

This breath stealing lip lock reawakens Sophie’s true identity: Persephone, Goddess of Spring. She’s key to saving humanity in the war between the Underworld and Olympus, target numero uno of Hades and Zeus, and totally screwed.

Plus there’s also the little issue that Sophie’s last memory as Persephone was just before someone tried to murder her.

Big picture: master her powers, get her memories back, defeat Persephone’s would be assassin, and save the world. Also, sneak into the Underworld to retrieve stolen property, battle the minions of Hades and Zeus, outwit psycho nymphs, slay a dragon, rescue a classmate, keep from getting her butt expelled from the one place designed to keep her safe …

… and stop kissing Kai, Prince of the Underworld.

My Ex From Hell is a romantic comedy/Greek mythology smackdown. Romeo and Juliet had it easy.


I was a little disappointed with this book. I really love the whole idea of Persephone in a young teenager, with Kai her forbidden love. I was expecting some humor and an intriguing story, but I feel like I just couldn't or didn't "get it". I took my time reading this, expecting that at any moment I would love it, but it just didn't happen for me.

I enjoyed Sophie's character with sarcasm and attitude befitting a princess of sorts, even before she knew who she was. Theo, a.k.a. Prometheus, was my favorite character, the protector. He seemed to be the most believable part of the whole book. Kai, well he was the bad boy, of course, but I felt he just lacked something.

The flow of this book seemed to be too rushed, as if there was too much information so it was all cut down to Cliff Notes versions. I guess I would say it felt dumbed down. I normally don't feel this way about YA books, but I was sad this was what I came away with.

I just want to thank NetGalley and Te Da Media for allowing me to read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

top navigation

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...